Thursday, September 11, 2008

Appropriate

Seven years has past since 9/11.  I have gone from being a college student with a part time job to a wife and mom with a full time career.  The babies who never met their daddies are now second graders.

I thought a lot about what I would do to commemorate this day.  I knew I wouldn't talk to my children about it yet.  They are too young to understand.  But one day I will tell them all about it.  Today I sat in my car at 8:46 am and prayed during the moment of silence on the radio.  Then I went into work and had a normal day.  No one even talked about the fact that it was 9/11.

As we pulled into the driveway this evening, Mason noticed a small flag in the garage that was left over from July 4th.  He pointed to it from his car seat and asked to hold it.  When I gave it to him he said "America", a word I didn't know he knew.  He carried the flag to the mailbox.  I taught him that we respect the flag and always to make sure to hold it high so it doesn't drag on the ground and get dirty.  I taught him to wave it and be proud.  It seemed appropriate to teach him these things on this day.

No comments: